I hope tomorrow I will be able to watch Ratatouille with my son. I will write a review after that. In the mean time, I give you this recipe first to let you try if you can cook this traditional French vegetable dish. It's taken from my favorite cooking book, Cooking - a commonsense guide.
It's fairly simple actually.
250 g eggplant, chopped
4 tablespoons olive oil
250 g zucchini, thickly sliced
2 onions, cut in wedges
1 red capsicum, cubed
1 green capsicum, cubed
2 cloves garlic, crushed
500 g ripe tomatoes, chopped
- Sprinkle the eggplant liberally with salt and leave for 20 minutes (this draws the bitterness from the eggplant). Rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large heavy-based pan. Lightly brown the eggplant and zucchini in batches. Drain well.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and cook the onion over low heat for 3 minutes, or until golden.
- Add the capsicum and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender but not browned.
- Add the garlic and tomato and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the eggplant and zucchini. Simmer for 15-20 minutes to reduce and thicken the sauce.
- Season to taste.