Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Sweet snow fungus dessert with pistachio nuts


This is my husband's family favourite dessert. My mum-in-law will make this dessert for Chinese New Year. It's called phe bog ni (white snow fungus) in Hokkien.
It's similar to Leng Chee Kang (Lotus seed sweet soup) but instead of using lotus seed, this dessert uses pistachio nuts.
I learnt to make this dessert by my self. My mum-in-law gave some tips so that I can cook this dessert better.

Ingredients:
300 gr good and high quality raw pistachio nuts
100 gr dried chinese red dates
70 gr dried longan
70 gr snow fungus
300 gr rock sugar
2 knots pandan leaves
2000 ml/8 cups of water

To make:
  1. Crack the pistachio nuts carefully and do not smash so you will get nice whole pistachio seeds.
  2. Soak the seeds in a bowl of warm water for about 30 minutes to 1 hour so that you can peel the skin easily.
  3. Soak dried longan, dried red dates, and snow fungus in a bowl of cold water until they soften.
  4. Peel off the pistachio skin so that you will get the whole white pistachio seed.
  5. Bring to boil 2000 ml/8 cups of water in a pot with the pistachio nuts and rock sugar.
  6. Stir occasionally until the sugar dissolves.
  7. Put the pandan leaves, dried longan, dried red dates, and the snow fungus into the pot, stir and mix them all. Bring to boil in low heat until everything is soft and cooked.
  8. Taste it. If it's not sweet enough, you can add a sugar syrup later.
  9. There you have it. Enjoy your dessert hot or cold.
My son likes the pistachio nuts so much.
My husband likes it on the rock... ;)
I like everything...as always...wha..ha..ha..

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet snow "fungus" doesn't sound too appealing :) Prob v tasty tho ;)

i really gotta try some of these out, i always say that, don't i??

coffeeliqueur said...

He..he..that snow fungus is direct translation of phe bog ni..:)

Anonymous said...

hi, just found out your blog from browsing the internet!
i love snow fungus too, very crunchy!

Angie said...

hallo bu tia, gua suka banget ini !

maruf hadi said...

hey,your blog make me hungry, so may I order please, hehehe, go a head bro,so lead your serve to many customer,hehe, say hello from kuwait, please visit to my health care info

Anonymous said...

Judging by the photo, the pistachio nuts mentioned in your recipe look more like ginkgo nuts (pek ko in Hokkien) to me.