Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Sweet potato chocolate cake with sultanas


I'm sure the first thing comes to your mind when you read this post title is "this cake must be very sweet". In fact, this cake is very delicious and not very sweet at all because at that time when I made this cake, I was short of sugar and so was the whole country.

I was in the middle of preparing all the ingredients to bake this cake and when it came to preparing sugar, I run out of sugar! I quickly run to the nearest supermarket to buy more sugar and I was thunder struck to see the supermarket did not have and did not sell sugar at all. I run to different supermarkets hoping to find some sugar to bake my cake but I was told that the whole country is in the shortage of sugar. Oh no!! I went back home empty handed. No sugar to bake my cake and I already halfway preparing the ingredients including steaming the sweet potato. Luckily, I found my last packet of icing sugar. I had no choice then to use this type of sugar.

Then after I finished baking this cake, I was ready to decorate the cake with some chocolate topping. Again I run out of my usual chocolate for baking but I still had a different type of chocolate bar. This chocolate bar is a pure dark chocolate and it is bitter.

So, the only sweet things in my cake are the sweet potato, icing sugar, and the sultana raisins and when they were combined together those sweet ingredients didn't give a strong sweet taste and my cake is just very delicious.
It is so delicious until I decided not to share it with anyone... :-D
This is a blessing in disguise for running out of sugar and my usual chocolate for baking.

Below is the recipe for that delicious cake:
Ingredients:

100 gr sweet potato - peel the skin off, steamed and mashed
150 gr flour
150 gr sugar (icing sugar/castor sugar)
5 egg yolk
4 egg whites
150 gr butter
150 ml coconut milk
100 gr sultana raisins
150 gr grated chocolate
1 tsp vanilla essence

To make:
  1. Preheat the oven to 160oC (315oF). Grease a deep 20 cm round cake tin and line with baking paper.
  2. Mix sugar and butter with electronic mixer in a big bowl until the mixture raises.
  3. While mixing, put egg yolks one at a time, followed by the egg whites one at a time, followed by the mashed sweet potato, flour, vanilla essence, and pour the coconut milk slowly one drop at a time.
  4. Keep on mixing until the mixture is perfectly mixed.
  5. Put the sultana raisins into the mixture, mix with wooden spoon slowly.
  6. Spread the grated chocolate on the mixture and mix with wooden spoon a little while just to give pattern to the mixture created by the grated chocolate.
  7. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake about 2 hours OR until a fork comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
  8. Leave in the tin to cool completely, then turn over the cake out of the tin and put it on the plate.
As for the chocolate topping, you can get it from my previous post Chocolate Toppings for your cakes.

No comments: