I don't actually know how to say "Kopyor" in English. My mum told me, kopyor is made from young coconut meat from a special kind of coconut. This special coconut will not mature and the meat inside will not harden as in old (mature) coconut.
According to http://www.agnet.org/library/article/rh2003002c.html:
THE SPECIFIC nature of `kopyor' on coconut plant is its abnormal fruit endosperm
controlled by recessive gene (Kk or kk). Based on phenotypic characteristics,
kopyor could not be differentiated from a normal coconut.
Kopyor is very delicious especially if you mix it with syrop and other fruits such as jack fruit, pineapple or avocado or the normal young coconut meat to make some dessert or some eksotic drinks. I have never found kopyor in other countries outside Indonesia.
Mixed kopyor ice is a special drink to quench your thirst during the hot summer day.
Even in Indonesia, not many places sell this classic eksotic drink because kopyor is not easy to get.
Since kopyor is not easy to find, many people try to create the kopyor immitation using jelly that has been mixed with coconut milk and coconut juice.
Here is the recipe:
2 avocado peel and cut in small cubes
200 ml rose syrop/grenadine (or you can just boil some rock sugar to make your own syrop)
100 gr jack fruits cut in small cubes
100 gr nata de coco (in some countries nata de coco is sold as canned fruit. According to Wikipedia (the free encyclopedia) Nata de coco is a chewy, translucent, jelly-like food product produced by the bacterial fermentation of coconut water.)
Some ice cubes
For kopyor imitation:
1 packet Agar-agar (jelly) powder (the Indonesian brand Swallow Globe yellow packet is the best to make this kopyor imitation)
400 ml thick coconut milk from 1 1/2 coconut fruit
1/2 tsp salt
1 big block of ice (you can make the ice by yourself by freezing some water inside a medium size Glad zipped lock plastic bag)
900 ml coconut juice
For coconut milk sauce:
500 ml coconut milk from 1 whole coconut
1 tsp salt
2 pandan leaves
1/2 tsp vanilla powder
To make the kopyor imitation:
- Mix the coconut juice, coconut milk, salt, and the agar-agar (jelly) and bring to boil.
- In the mean time, you have to put your big block of ice into a big bowl. If you made the ice by yourself, don't forget to take it out from the plastic bag.
- Once the mixture is boiled, using a table spoon, scoop the mixture one by one and pour it on the ice block and let it freeze.
To make the coconut milk sauce:
- Mix all ingredients and bring to boil.
- Let it cool.
- Prepare some glasses to serve the kopyor ice.
- Put the avocado, jack fruit, nata de coco, and the kopyor immitation.
- Pour some syrop, coconut milk sauce, and put some ice cubes
And now the mixed kopyor ice is ready to be served.
If you like it sweet, you can put more syrop but I don't recommend this.