1 1/4 cups (155 gr) self-raising flour, sifted
1/2 cup (125 gr) caster sugar
1/2 cup (60 gr) cocoa powder
1/3 cup (40 gr) icing sugar, sifted
1/4 cup (80 gr) strawberry jam
125 gr butter
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 cup (250 ml) milk
- Preheat the oven to moderate 180oC (350oF). Grease the base and sides of a deep 20cm square/round cake tin and line with baking paper.
- On a big bowl, beat butter, caster sugar, and icing sugar with electric beaters until mixture is light and creamy. Add the eggs gradually, beating throroughly after each addition.
- Add vanilla essence and strawberry jam and beat until combined.
- Using a metal spoon, fold in the combined sifted flour, cocoa, and bicarbonate soda alternately with the milk.
- Stir until the mixture is just combined and almost smooth.
- Pour into the tin and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer (I normally just use a fork) comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
- Leave in the tin for 15 minutes and cool on a wire rack.
- After the cake is completely cool, turn over and put the cake into a plate.