There are 2 versions of chocolate cake, one is without some strawberry jam and the other one is with some strawberry jam. It's up to you. But this post will only talk about the chocolate cake WITHOUT the strawberry jam.
1 1/2 cups (185 gr) self-raising flour
1/2 cup (60 gr) plain flour
1 1/2 cups (375 gr) caster sugar
250 gr butter, chopped
200 gr dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp instand coffee powder
1 tbsp oil
1 cup (250 ml) water
- Preheat the oven to 160oC (315oF). Grease a deep 20 cm round cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Sift the flours and cocoa powder into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the center.
- In a pan, combine the butter, oil, chocolate, sugar and coffee powder with the water. Stir over LOW heat until the chocolate and butter are melted and the sugar has dissolved. It is very important to use low heat so that your mixture will not be burned.
- Pour into the well in the mixture of sifted flour and cocoa powder (no. 2).
- Whisk until combined. Add eggs and mix well, but do not overbeat.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 2 hours or until a fork comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
- Leave in the tin to cool completely, then turn over the cake out of the tin and put it on the plate.