Thursday, June 01, 2006

Strawberry Jam



When I visited Cameroon Highlands in Pahang, Malaysia, I got a chance to pick and pluck my own strawberry at one of the strawberry farms along the way to Cameroon Highlands.
This is a great experience for me and my son. Since my son is too small to pluck the strawberry on his own, so he is happy just clinging onto his daddy and watching me picking and plucking the strawberries. The strawberries are big and red. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to eat the strawberry I've plucked at the farm. But after I paid for all the strawberries I picked, I could eat them. The cost to pick and pluck your own strawberry is RM15 per 50 gr.

When I arrived home, I quickly make my own strawberry jam and here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
5 cups (1.25 kg) sugar
1.5 kg strawberries
1/2 cup (125 ml) lemon juice
  1. Put 2 plates in the freezer. Warm the sugar by spreading in a large baking dish and heating in a very slow 120oC (250oF) oven for 10 minutes, stirring occationally.
  2. Hull the strawberries and put in a large pan with the lemon juice, sugar and 1/2 cup (125 ml) water.
  3. Warm gently without boiling, stirring carefully with a wooden spoon. Try no to break up the fruit too much.
  4. Increase the heat and without boiling, continue stirring for 10 minutes, until the sugar has thoroughly dissolved.
  5. Increase the heat and boil, without stirring for 20 minutes.
  6. Take out the cold plates from the freezer. Start testing for setting point: place a little jam on one of the cold plates, a skin will form on the surface and the jam will wrinkle when pushed with your finger.
  7. It could take up to 40 minutes to reach setting point.
  8. Remove the jam from the heat and leave for 5 minutes before removing any scum that forms on th surface. Pour into hot sterilized jars, seal, and label.

No comments: